Monday, October 31, 2011

Bookie Brunch Trick or Treat Blog Hop




Welcome to Bookie Brunch: Trick or Treat 

Bookie Brunch is a weekly book chat for book lovers. A new Bookie Brunch posts every Sunday, and you're welcome to join any ongoing discussion .

In the meantime, let's have some treats for Halloween. Just click on the badges at the end of the post, for a new treat!

Here's a treat from Me:



I LOVE Halloween! 
I will literally start planning my costume for the next year on November 1st.
Every year I love to do tons of things with the kids too!  This year we are making Apple Sculls.
It's really easy and fun and even older kids enjoy it. (The pics are from my daughters 13th birthday party this last weekend and the kids had a blast with it)


Lets see, all you need are:
Apples (of course)
A Sharp Knife & Cutting Board
A Potato Peeler
Melon Baller (or other tools for making designs/faces)
Cookie Sheet
Oven & Oven Mitts 
(yes I know these two should be obvious, and while my oven hasn't disappeared recently, my oven mitts are known to grow legs and run away right when I need them)




Ok, for the Instructions:


First turn on your oven to 350. (I always forget to preheat the oven, if you do too, that's ok. Just keep an eye on the apples when they are in the oven and leave them in a bit longer)









Then take one apple. 










Cut it in half.














Then peel the two halves.








Next use whatever utensils you choose to carve faces into the round part side of the apple.





Then place the apple (or apples) flat side down on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Times vary according to the oven. And if you are planning on doing this for a party or something, I would suggest you do a trial run before hand.  If you check on your skulls and they aren't browning yet, either wait longer or turn up the heat on the oven a smidge.  Just make sure you keep an eye on them at that point, cause they can cook REALLY quick when they want to.  Then they get kinda rubbery, and the juices start to caramelize on the cookie sheet and it's a pain to get that sticky gunk off!
Anyway here are some pics of the finished apples. (ages of artists varied from 6-30+)

















Remember these are edible too!
The kids say that while the tops are sometimes chewy, the bottoms taste like warm applesauce.  And since there is no added sugar or anything, just good old apples, it is a perfectly healthy treat. Plus it makes the house smell AMAZING!!!!!



Don't forget to check out the other Trick or Treat posts by clicking on the linky below! Also be sure to check out:


Bookie Brunch

*Every Sunday*Founder: Sasha Soren (Random Magic)
I was a guest at Bookie Brunch at Vvb32reads:
Check out the discussion here!
or
 See all discussions.


And as a last little treat! (But certainly not least!)

My favorite Halloween candy is:



Candy Corn!


Why?  Mainly because this is the only time of the year I can get it! It also has it's own day! According to
Holiday Insights 
October 30th is 
National Candy Corn Day! 












This year I'm REALLY excited 'cause M&M's came out with an M&M's White Chocolate Candy Corn. I saw an add for them and I almost started drooling on the page! (Unfortunately I have yet to find any :( )  (Apparently it is only available at Walmart! )





What's yours? Tell Me!
Feel free to leave a comment if you like, to share your fave Halloween treat or some other cool link for Halloween. Thanks for dropping by, and...



Happy Halloween!

Find more cute treats by clicking on any of the pix below:





3 comments:

  1. I remember that apple craft! Haven't done that in forever! I am also going to have to check out the chocolate candy corn. How fun!

    My fave candy? Hm... depends on my mood, but peanut butter and chocolate is good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome sculls! i'm gonna give them a try. and such a fun project for the family too.
    mmmmm, for dark chocolate reeses. happy booing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys like them! :)
    The kids and I had TONS of fun making them!
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete