Friday, March 23, 2012

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012 March Round Up





This challenge is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer.
 For more details on the challenge such as levels, guidelines, PRIZES!!!, just click here.

This post is to  link to all reviews of the books I've read for this challenge this month. To check out  books for this month read by other readers that are taking part in this challenge click here! 



So here's my round up of reviews for March for the Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012.   (It's been a crazy two months so I was only able to get this done, promise I'll have more next month!)


Good As Lily
By: Derek Kirk Kim, Jesse Hamm (Illustrator)
Amazon

Summery from Amazon:

 A strange mishap on her eighteenth birthday causes Grace Kwon to be confronted with herself at three different periods in her life--ages six, twenty-nine, and seventy--while she and her friends struggle to save a crumbling school play.








I was fortunate enough to win a $10 book of choice from Michelle's Book Blog. (It was the prize for her post in the  Shameless Giveaway Hop.)  Since I was looking for more books to help me complete the challenge I decided to pick Good As Lily to help further me in reaching my goal.


My review:

*sigh* I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did.  It wasn't that it was bad, it's just that it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

The story itself was decent.  There were some funny parts, and some really sweet parts and even some emotional parts.   I did actually start to care what happened to Grace and her other selves.  The artwork was decent.  Not as detailed as I would have liked, but not horrible. My favorite character in the whole book was Grace's oldest other self.  She was funny throughout the whole story.   But there were little things about the story that just bothered me.
For instance, the title of the story is "Good As Lily", but I didn't feel it really applied to the story.  Lily is Grace's sister who passed away when Grace was a small child.  One of Grace's issues is that she feels her parents don't think she is 'as good as' Lily was.  But first of all this isn't Graces or her other selves only problems.  Second the problem with her parents....click here to read the rest of my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment