Monday, July 30, 2012

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012 - July Round Up




This challenge is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer.
 For more details on the challenge such as levels, guidelines, PRIZES!!!, just click here.




This post is to  link to all reviews of the books I've read for this challenge this month. To check out  books for this month read by other readers that are taking part in this challenge click here! 



Decided to do another graphic novel this month.  This time I also decided to use NetGalley for the first time. (Thanks Diayll!)  I've never been sure about NetGalley or how it worked but thanks to her I kinda forced myself to figure it out.  I was also worried that I would HAVE to review every book I got from them.  Sometimes I actually like to read for fun, ya know? Anyway finding out this wasn't the case, and getting access to a much larger library was really cool. One of the first books I got approved to read/borrow was 
Once Upon A Time Machine.  So I decided to use that one to fill my quota for this month. 


Once Upon A Time Machine
By: Lee Nordling, Jason Rodriguez, Tara Alexander, Khoi Pham, Charles Fetherolf, Nelson Evergreen, Chris Stevens, Andrew Carl, Various authors.

Fairy tales have fueled our dreams and fired our imaginations for centuries. Step inside a time machine built by a collection of today's finest storytellers, and enter a range of futures where familiar tales are reimagined in an astonishing variety of styles. Editors Andrew Carl and Chris Stevens bring you the next wave of leading writers and illustrators work alongside superstar creators like Farel Dalrymple (Pop Gun War), Ryan Ottley (Invincible), Khoi Pham (Daredevil), and Brandon Graham (King City) to deliver a reading experience that will delight generations young and old.




My Review:

I really enjoyed reading this one.  I wasn't sure at first.  Sometimes I have issues with remakes of classics.  But overall I think the authors and artists did a great job.
Some of the ones I really loved....Goldilocks and the Three Bears...The Tortoise and The Hare...Momotaro...The Five Chinese Brothers (even though it was sad!) , Vasilissa the Beautiful...
Well in thinking about it I pretty much enjoyed all of the stories.
I really liked that each story had different art styles.  It made every story feel different. Plus if I wasn't crazy about how one story was drawn, I wasn't stuck with it for the whole book.
I also liked how they futurized each story. I'm not saying modernized because they didn't just bring them into the present day, but went into the future with all the stories. Some seemed really close to the originals and some just the bare bones of the original tales are left...but still...wow. Humpty Dumpty for example...just wow.  (don't want to ruin it for you)
And the portraits between the stories...LOVED them!  The Three Little Pigs-ninja style and Red Riding Hood, The Little Mermaid, just to name a few all of them awesome though!
Click here to read the rest of my review!

No comments:

Post a Comment