Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2013


So this year since I said that I would try to get to Level 3 of the Challenge That means I need to have at least 25 books read before the end of the year. That's at least 2 books a month. (and one extra one in at least one of those 12 months)   As a change from last year I'm gonna be putting the reviews up here as I get them done and then linking them in the monthly round-up at Mother/Gamer/Writer.  I also plan to try to remember my update my Challenge page at the end of the month. Want to see what the other people in the challenge are reading this month? Click here!




I got the e-copy of this book through NetGalley.


The Curse of Dracula is back in this deluxe new hardcover edition, a fitting tribute to the immortal legacy of artist Gene Colan! A mysterious, charismatic figure is moving amongst the circles of San Francisco's political elite, hunting for the right candidate. When Jonathan Van Helsing and his team of vampire hunters come to town investigating a string of grisly murders and stumble into a pit of blood-soaked horrors, they know it's only a matter of time before they come face-to-face with the master of the dark! But are they too late to stop Dracula's terrifying plan to become the power behind the president of the United States?


My Review:

I didn’t realize when I requested to review this one that it was a reissue of a classic. I don’t like reviewing ‘classics’.  I’ve found they already have a steady standing of fans that dislike any review that isn’t exactly what they want to hear.  That being said I did say I would review it.  So here goes.
The artwork is good and solid, it’s not my favorite style, but it is well done. The darkness and the horror of the story itself comes across clearly in the panels.  There is gore and there is nudity, but both are part of the story itself, not just there for shock value or to get sales.
As for the story itself, it is a fresh change of pace from the current vampire hero that has saturated today’s culture.  Dracula is Dracula again, not worrying about any of the humans, or anything else, that happens to get in his way.  But he isn’t just a stupid animal driven by blood lust.  He is intelligent and plans his every move in advance.
It is good work, classic work. Do I think you will like it if your tastes run towards some of the more modern graphic artwork and comic fare?  Maybe.  I think you would definitely be able to appreciate it. Will you like it if you are vampire obsessed? Possibly…if you prefer you vampires non-sparkly and bloodthirsty.  


1 comment:

  1. I think this review and the reissue of this comic is fitting considering the craze for all things vampire lore these days.
    But, and you touched on this a bit, vampires have sort of been rewritten to look and feel more "sexy". You know, the dangerous but appealing taboo. I mean really... they are blood suckers. But that's just my opinion. I prefer blood thirsty to sparkly.

    ReplyDelete