Saturday, February 23, 2013

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2013


So this year since I said that I would try to get to Level 3 of the Challenge That means I need to have at least 25 books read before the end of the year. That's at least 2 books a month. (and one extra one in at least one of those 12 months)   As a change from last year I'm gonna be putting the reviews up here as I get them done and then linking them in the monthly round-up at Mother/Gamer/Writer.  I also plan to try to remember my update my Challenge page at the end of the month. Want to see what the other people in the challenge are reading this month? Click here!







To most, Suri is just an orphan in a traveling caravan. But Suri is determined to prove she has the mettle of a monster tamer. When she unknowingly takes something valuable from a caitsith -- a cat monster -- she will have to quickly harness her powers ... if she even has them!


My Review:

I wasn’t sure about this when I picked it up.   Gosh what a pleasant surprise though. 

I liked the artwork.  While it was a bit cartoony, it was cute and overall it worked well with the story itself.  Not everything was super detailed, but there were quite a few panels where the funniest parts were taking place in the background.  I also liked the fact that I was able to read the panels clearly and the artwork wasn’t blurry. (Something I’ve had to deal with since a lot of the graphic novels that I review I read on my laptop)  The only issue I had was that for some reason some of the works were white. I could barely see them, just a kind of shadowed outline. I don’t know if this was done on purpose or if it was just a glitch in the font and how it showed up. 

The story itself is good.  There were a lot of laugh out loud parts and I really wanted to see what was going to happen to Suri.  The ending is abrupt, yet it wasn’t as annoying as some pictureless cliffie I’ve had to deal with.  Obviously there are going to be more books in the series and this one was a great intro to the monsters of Galatea, Suri and her friends.  
Yes I had issues with the font of some of the words, but the book overall was fun enough that I was able to overlook it.  I would definitely pick this one up if I saw it in print and I can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the series.



*I received an e-copy of this book for review from NetGalley*



No comments:

Post a Comment