Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for Katie's Hellion by Lizzy Ford




BOOK ONE in the Rhyn Trilogy, a New Adult paranormal romance series. 

Katie thinks she’s going crazy when a baby angel and death’s personal assistant appear on her doorstep. Both claim she’s destined for something great. If she can survive, that is. She’s drawn into a world filled with immortals like Rhyn, an outcast who claims her as his mate in a show of defiance to his brothers. Katie rescues Rhyn from Hell, and he discovers fast just how special his little human is. With Death counting his days on one hand, Rhyn must learn to love, before his own time is up and Katie becomes the first human casualty in the brewing war between immortals. 

Will the love between a gifted young woman and an immortal outcast save the world-- or destroy it?



My Review:
  

So I picked up this one from Lizzy Ford while it was on sale. So worth it! 

Again...seriously ANOTHER series started by Lizzy Ford and it just blew me away! So much so that I already bought the other two books in the trilogy.  

I love her characters. I love the worlds she builds. I love the stories. I love the romance!! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! 

Okay. I think I've got the fan girl love under control. Maybe.

Let me get back to being a good reviewer and tell you why. And I'll try to be specific to just THIS book. I'm also gonna try REALLY hard not to give too many spoilers. 

Lets focus on each of her lovely categories. (Oops sorry that word again.)

First the characters.

Katie's Hellion had the best kind of good guys and bad guys. The good ones you want to root for and the bad ones you know you want to be able to squash between the pages of the book. The other thing is that the good characters have just enough flaws to not be annoying. I know that's something that shouldn't need to be stated, but I really think it deserves acknowledgement.  Also, even though the characters are set in a completely fictional world, they are still able to be related to.  Again something that should be expected in good writing, but I really feel it needs to be mentioned. Now for the bad guys...Katie's Hellion has more than just bad guys, you've got quite a few good guys who aren't the greatest either. The bad bad guys. Yeah, those are the ones who you want to just smack off the page. Not cause they're poorly written, but because they are just horrible and the things they do...especially to Katie. Yea, if I had the chance *SQUISH*! Then there are those bad good guys. Yea there's the part of me that hopes they get their redemption. Sure. I'm an optimist. But there's a bigger part of me that just wanted Rhyn to rip their heads off. Not all the supporting characters are bad or badder. There are definitely a few that I can't wait to see where their story goes. Especially characters like Katie's 'son' Toby, his buddy Gabriel and Ully. I mean they are integral parts of the story, but they aren't in the entire thing. But just from the scenes they're in...they make me want to know more as well as just see them in some more stories. They are just fun. 

Let's see what's next? Ah Ford's world that she's created.

This one, yeah I'm gonna have to mention some of her other books. (Sorta) Seriously she does such great work on the worlds she places her stories in. Ford has an amazing assortment of series available. They range the spectrum from futuristic outer space to modern day, with and without magic. Each one is specifically set in it's own world. Even her one series that's set on this planet, in this time, the social world her characters live in... Just her creative details, and the different layers involved. I would read her books just to see what new place she's decided to place her characters in. Even if the stories didn't involve any characters I had yet to meet in previous stories. Yeah, the worlds are that interesting.

Then there is the story.

I'm gonna focus solely on Katie's Hellion for this one. I want to know more! MORE! MORE! MORE!  I can't wait to start the next book in the series to see where Ford takes Katie and Rhyn. Yes, it's a romance so I'm so hoping that they get their happily ever after. But I can't wait to see how they get there! I also can't wait to see how she works in the rest of the characters stories. As I said above, I want to see more of Toby, Gabriel and Ully, but there are other characters I want to find out about too.  I can't wait to see if they end up getting deftly woven together, or if they end up getting their own stories. This is one of Fords few series I haven't stalked from the beginning so I don't know if there are more books in this world beyond Katie and Rhyn's trilogy. But I definitely am going to be picking them up as soon as I get a chance. (Sorry I'm reading this book for the April A to Z challenge. That's 26 book reviews in one month. Yes, I start reading in March, but that still means a tight schedule and I can't really let myself get lost in any internet rabbit holes or I won't get them all done in time. I will say though that I took the extra time to go online and pick up the rest of this trilogy so as soon as I'm done my book for the letter Z I can start reading Katie's Hope, book two in the Rhyn trilogy.)

Now for the romance....

I really enjoyed watching Katie and Rhyn fall for each other. Their so both determined not to be with the other. But they're so perfect for each other. It's sweet. Plus there's the bonus that there's no love triangle. Maybe I'm speaking too soon...I  mean there are two more books to go. I really HATE love triangles, so I hope non are introduced. I also just really enjoyed the way Ford weaves the romance in with the rest of the book. It doesn't feel forced and it doesn't take over the rest of the story.

I'm so giving this one 5 out of 5 stars, if that wasn't obvious from the beginning of this review. But the book is good and it's not just a repeat of any of Fords other stories with the names changed. As a bonus it's currently free on Amazon, just click the link below the cover pic. But trust me when you read this one you're gonna wanna read the rest so you might as well get all three at once so you don't have to waste time going back for the others.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~








I got this book from Amazon because it was on sale and decided to review it for this event. All opinions in this fair and honest review are my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment