Friday, April 29, 2016

Y is for Y: The Last Man #1






Written by Brian K. Vaughan (Lost, EX MACHINA), this is the saga of Yorick Brown – the only human survivor of a planet-wide plague that instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his pet monkey, Yorick searches for his lost love…and the answer to why he’s the last man on earth.



My Review:


I liked reading Y: The Last Man #1.   

The artwork was well drawn and the font was easy to read. Also none of it blurred when I zoomed in on my Kindle, which I've had happen before.

The story was intriguing as well.  It starts off at the present and then goes back to the recent events leading up to the opening. Yes, it jumps between locations as it advances towards the present moment, but I think it builds a steady lead in to when the virus suddenly hits. 

I think if I have any problem with this episode is that I felt that it was cut short.  This volume of the comic ends as it began, right when the virus hits.  It does a good job of introducing characters and setting them up for the rest of the series.  But then it ends. I read the summary before I started reading so I thought there was going to be more of what happens after the virus killed the men on the planet. 

Honestly that was my only issue. Even with the sudden ending it didn't turn me off to the series. I'm putting the other volumes on my wish list and I hope to pick them up in the very near future so I can see what happens to the characters that were introduced in volume 1.  Y: The Last Man looks to be a really interesting series and I'm glad I decided to start it.


















No comments:

Post a Comment