Saturday, April 8, 2017

G is for Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe #atozchallenge




Cass McKenna much prefers the company of ghosts over "breathers." Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable, and they know the dirt on everybody... and Cass loves dirt. She's on a mission to expose the lies and backstabbing between her fellow students.

But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass's whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help him contact his recently deceased mother, and Cass reluctantly agrees.

As Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim's life, she's surprised to realize he's not so bad—and he needs help more desperately than anyone else suspects. Maybe it's time to give the living another chance...


My Review:

Absolutely loved this one! Drew me in from the very beginning and kept me there even after the last page. 

I really wish I could just write one sentence reviews. But I think that idea has already been taken. lol. It's not that I don't want to write more, just my hand is being stupid and I have to keep backspacing and retyping. But I don't want to put it off because I have 20 more books to read and review and I am a real stickler about only reading one at a time. Should I really be typing all this if it's such a pita? Yes, because it makes me laugh and that makes dealing with the mistypes a little less frustrating. lol. 

Ok. Sorry about that. Let's start over. I really did enjoy this book and its review deserves better then my attempts at comedy and self criticism.  So on with the review:

I absolutely fell in love with Give Up The Ghost. 

From the first page, correction, the first sentence I was hooked. I fell in love with Cass and her ghostly companions. Yes, the story entered some very dark/sad spaces. The majority of the ghosts she communicates with are dead teens. But Cass somehow keeps her sanity and even her sense of humor. Although the former is questioned by some and the later is a bit laced with sarcasm. But hey, the girl DOES communicate with ghosts. The ghostly MC's are really trying to make the best of their afterlife, even if that is by playing supernatural sleuths for Cass. They all are so happy and eager to help her. But it makes sense, since she's the only one that's ever see them.  I think if I had to ask for something more in the book it would be more about the ghosts back stories. That's usually my only complaint for books I enjoy. I want to find out more!!! 

I liked the way the story was written as well. Cass doesn't automatically know what to do, or how to fix everything that comes her way. She reacts honestly. Like someone who has been hurt but there's still a shred of empathy in her. Even if the only people that really see her nice side are dead, it's still there. As for the ending, usually I'm frustrated with stories that don't tie up everything neatly at the end. Give Up The Ghost wasn't a cliff hanger by any means, but quite a few things are left unresolved. 

To give a few examples without too much spoilage: 

What's going to happen to Paige? and Norris? and Bitzy!?!

What is the deal with that weird old ghost that just wanders around town???

What happens to the living MC in her senior year?

Sorry. There are more, but again, I don't want to spoil anything. As of this moment I'm not sure if this book is a stand alone or the beginning of a series. But as I said usually I am frustrated. For this book the ending just seemed a natural place to stop in the story. It wasn't an obvious set up for a second book, but at the same time it did leave it open to one. I really hope there is one. If the author's reading... Hint. Hint.

Definitely giving this one all the stars. I highly recommend picking it up as soon as you get a chance.








I was lucky enough to get a copy of Give Up The Ghost as part of a promotion that the author, Megan Crewe, was doing through her newsletter.  I'm not sure if it's still going on or not, but it couldn't hurt to check out the link. 

See you Monday for Letter H!

No comments:

Post a Comment