Tuesday, April 25, 2017

U is for The The Unsame Ones by Stephanie Skeem #atozchallenge






I was born in January.
So I am January, and everything that it entails. I bear the same name as a million other Januaries just like me, the same look, the same genetic makeup, the same job, the same face, the same goals, and the same dreams.

I am and will be a secretary for the rest of my life. I am good at what I do, I was made for my job, and my job was made for me.
I am Same.
I have lived the Same as every other January like me for seventeen years. 
And a year from now, on the first of January, I will die from the same genetic defect every January has died from. No January has ever lived past eighteen.
No January has ever wanted to.
Until now.
I believe I have been infected with the Unsame Virus. My head aches, throbs, and pounds 
without ever stopping. Before now, I never felt pain. I know I must turn myself in. That is the only logical thing to do.
It all started with the hideous Unsame One who crossed my path, and thrust a strange object into my hands. It is he who is to blame, and it is I who must fight this. I cannot shut out my master, keeper, and overseer, Time---nor disobey the clock. I will forever march to its dictates, and remain true.
I am a Same One. 
I was born Same. 
I have lived Same. 
And I will die Same.
I am January. 
I am Same.


My Review:


I really was looking forward to The Unsame Ones. The summary had really caught my attention. 
Overall I did enjoy the book. I liked the characters and I think the world Skeem has built is quite amazing. 
But there was one main issue that got to me. 
The main character would just go on these long winded overly repetitive internal speeches. The thing is when it first started I kinda liked them. They were almost poetic. The problem was not only were they long winded, they had a tendency to say the same thing in a slightly different way over and over and over and over. At first I thought that maybe it was the author trying to be ironic. Like the Sames are a certain way so that was how the character described the Sames world or anything involving the Sames. Then it happened describing anything Unsame as well. Then it seemed that some of the descriptions were repeated all over again. While a lot of it was pretty, whole pages of it just started to drag on. I felt like I was stuck in the same scene for ages. Really I thought the book might never end, and not in a good way.  I hate saying that because like I said, I really was intrigued by the premise of the story. I liked the world that Skeem has created. I would like to see more of it. Maybe a prequel explaining how the different Sames came to be. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens to Blade and January. But maybe in the next book the author can keep a tighter leash on January's internal monologues? 

Again, I did like the story that the book tried to tell. I just got bogged down in the constant flowery descriptions in the MC's head. I hate reviewing books like this. Where I actually enjoy the majority of the book, but there's that one thing that just kills it. Especially when without that one little thing the book would have definitely been 5 star amazing.







No comments:

Post a Comment